In June 21, 2007 the Deer Lake Regional Airport Authority celebrated the Grand Opening of a $12 million newly expanded and renovated Air Terminal Building. This project, which was self-financed with no assistance or support from any level of government, was undertaken to enhance and improve the quality of services to the traveling public. During the design phase, every aspect of the project was reviewed from a customer service perspective. Consequently, the new facility is not only functional, but has many qualities and amenities that add to the care and comfort of those traveling and using the facilities at Deer Lake Regional Airport.
- A new domestic arrivals area complete with a public viewing.
- A new dedicated international arrivals area complete with state-of-the-art Customs/Immigrations facilities.
- Two new baggage conveyors.
- A new gift shop.
- A new 250-seat departure lounge with new departure gates and counters.
- A new television lounge.
- Five new spacious car-rental counters.
- New hands-free washrooms throughout the facility.
- A new pre-board screening area with two passenger screening lanes.
- A new ground transportation kiosk.
- A new internet café with wireless WiFi access.
- New fully automated doors at main exits/entrances.
- New bilingual directional signage.
- All new airport designed seating throughout.
- New baggage, gate and flight information display screens.
- A new Visitors Information Centre.
- A unique Newfoundland flagstone rock wall complete with fossils from the local area.
Security personnel operate 24 hours daily and are responsible for the entire airport facility including the Air Terminal Building, Parking areas, and roadways. For general assistance or in case of an emergency, Security Personnel are available at the Security Kiosk located on the main concourse area or by calling (709) 635-5543.
Hours of Operation
The Air Terminal Building is open to the public 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Airline services and car rental agencies are open during flight activity. As well, food and beverage concessions and the Visitors Information Centre are operated independently and hours of operation varies in accordance with airline schedules.
The Airport Administration Office located on the second floor of the Air Terminal Building is open during regular business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday.
The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) is a crown corporation with a mandate to deliver a consistent, effective and professional service for air security standards established by federal regulations. CATSA personnel are located at Deer Lake Regional Airport and are responsible for screening all passengers and baggage.
For detailed information regarding pre-board screening and baggage please visit the CATSA website at www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca.
Pets are only permitted inside the terminal building if they are accompanying travellers and are kept in an airline approved travel kennel or pet carrier.
This new policy is intended to provide a safe and comfortable environment for all travellers, guests and employees. It is recognized that many individuals may have allergies and other health related issues or experience fear and anxiety when around pets. Service animals, such as guide and specially trained police dogs will continue to be permitted inside the terminal building and this policy will allow them to do their jobs unimpeded. This policy is consistent with most national and international airports.
No Smoking Policy
The traveling public is advised that smoking is not permitted within the Air Terminal Building, airside (arriving or departing to/from aircraft), or adjacent to any exits/entrances to the terminal building. Smoking is only permitted outside the Air Terminal Building in the designated smoking area.